Attorney Blogs


A Brief Overview of Judgments in Florida

Posted by Robert E. Slipkovich | Apr 15, 2021 | 0 Comments

A lawsuit was filed and now you received paperwork about a “judgment.” The word alone is very intimidating and does not fully appraise the individual on the current state of litigation.

What does this mean? What can be done? Can I fight the judgment? These are all excellent questions which warrant a brief overview of monetary judgments in Florida.

In reference to Florida collections lawsuits, a judgment is a financial calculation of monetary damages with the addition of interest over time. A judgment may be paid in full to satisfy the amounts owed or it may continue to accumulate interest when payments are not made. However, a judgment is not an automatic win for a creditor. The creditor will look to enforce the judgment by using legal tactics to attach to your property or income.

Creditors have various methods of executing/enforcing a judgment. They may look to record a lien, garnish wages, or even seize personal property. Wage garnishment is one of the more common approaches, where a certain percentage of wages are set aside by your employer to pay the creditor. However, be advised that the creditor can employ other methods of enforcement which can become problematic in the future. To avoid this issue all together, it is best to hire an experienced debt defense attorney to avoid loss of income/property from a quick final judgment.

Florida collections cases usually arrive at an early judgment in one of two ways: 1. The defendant does not appear at a pre-trial conference for a small claims case or 2. A response is not filed in the case for matters beyond small claims. Fortunately, there are methods of removing a judgment against a defendant. Each client's case is different, and the specific facts/circumstances will often dictate what can be done to attack your judgment. In many cases, we can remove a judgment if a motion is timely filed with the court. This helps protect your income and property and places you in the best situation to resolve the case.

A judgment can be very alarming and will lead to more questions than answers. However, it is something that commonly happens and can often be addressed by experienced counsel. The attorneys at Holland Law have assisted many Florida clients in removing judgments and protecting wages and property from creditors in all counties in Florida from Miami-Dade to Duval, Orange to Hillsborough, and all counties in between. If you have a collections case where a judgment was entered against you, please contact our office for a free consultation regarding your case and rights under Florida law.


About the Author

Robert E. Slipkovich

Robert Edward Slipkovich is from Canfield, Ohio. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science with a minor in Professional and Technical Writing from The University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. He continued his studies at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School where...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.


Holland Law Group has helped thousands of individuals and families gain a fresh start. Not only do we provide personal attention to get you through this time, we also offer support and credit repair once your case is completed. To get started, we provide a no- obligation and completely free phone or office consultation. Let’s work together to get you on the path to financial freedom. Start Now


At Holland Law we focus on Consumer Bankruptcy and Debt Defense. We proudly serve Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte Counties and expanding to serve all of Central and South Florida, from coast-to-coast. We offer free phone or in-office consultations in Bradenton, Sarasota, Lakewood Ranch, Port Charlotte and across the Central and South Florida region. Contact us through the form on this page or call us at (941)-306-3601 to speak with an experienced bankruptcy and debt defense attorney today. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.